Saturday, February 17, 2018

The Games



Recently, an acquaintance of mine asked me, "So, did you participate in Super Bowl parties when you were growing up?" I was charmed by the question due to the fact that I am almost a decade older than the Super Bowl phenomenon. My reply was perhaps more than she bargained for, as is the case with most of my responses. I explained that I grew up with little or no television interaction. Sports and parties were words rarely used in my household. Our physical exercise fell under the heading of work and Sunday was a day of rest and church. No parties in sight. As time marched on, however, the Super Bowl world did enter my life. After I got married, my husband and I gathered with friends for the big event. I spent my time by the crockpots filled with smoked wienies and my husband enjoyed his time by the television watching the game with the guys (with a plate full of smoked wienies). I can honestly say I did not watch one second of any of the games due to my low sports IQ.

The exception to my no sports rule is the Olympics. The modern Olympic games are actually older than I am by more than a century so the history is rich. I never tire of the parade of nations entering the Olympic stadium for the opening ceremonies. The flag bearer for each country proudly leads his or her country's delegation of one athlete to dozens of athletes. This year's television coverage included a little map with each country's location highlighted as they were featured in the procession. Bonus for me because I can never remember where Eritrea is located. Participants from warm climate countries often inspire back stories during winter Olympics. Case in point, this year there is a women's bobsled team from Jamaica. They are on a quest to pay homage to their Cool Runnings roots. Make Sanka proud, ladies.

There is a spirit about the Olympic games that is contagious. Rather than looking for ways to criticize and besmirch one's country, participants and fans rally around their athletes and homeland. Tears of joy are often seen streaming down faces when a country's national anthem is played during the awarding of medals. Most athletes know better than to "take a knee" or derail an acceptance moment with a verbal anti-patriotism rant. Most athletes also realize they are participating not only for their own personal achievement, but as a tribute to the country they are representing. There is a selflessness that is mirrored in that kind of loyalty. Celebrating what is right about a country feels better than looking for everything that is wrong.

It is foolish to believe that countries do not have problems and, certainly, people have the right to speak out. But, please, oh please, take a clue from the world of kindergartners. Find a way to play nice in the sandbox. Share your baggie of teddy grahams with a new friend. Accept your blue ribbon without telling others how you thought you were mistreated by Ms. Preschool Teacher. Don't steal your desk as a kindergarten souvenir. Get back up if you fall down. Learn something new. And wear your school colors with pride.

Go, Team USA!























No comments:

Post a Comment